The Essex Cottage building dates back to the 16th century and has been a tearoom since 1854.
The cottage is now a restaurant, with a reputation for otherworldly visitors. The restaurant is reputed to be haunted by the ghost of a farmer, who appears near the door leaning on his stick and smoking his pipe. There is also a spectral black cat, which has been spotted under the restaurant tables.
More information on its hauntings can be found in Gay Baldwin’s The Isle of Wight Ghost Book IV, also consider her website: ghost-island.com