Glen Spey Distillery
There are 5 distilleries in the town of Rothes but only one has the reputation for being haunted, and that is the Glen Spey distillery, which is owned by Diageo and has only recently produced its own malt – a 12 year old from the flora and fauna series.
The distillery was built in 1878, founded by James Stuart and bought by the Gilbey company in 1887. The distillery sits below the ruins of Rothes castle ancient seat of the Leslie family, and once home to the infamous Wolf of Badenoch: who was Alexander Stewart son of King Robert II, who amongst other atrocities burned Elgin Cathedral to the ground in 1390.
The distillery sits near to the Rothes Burn which is also used as a water source by several other distilleries. Much of the Victorian stone exterior is still intact, housing two pairs of stills, the second pair dating from the 1970’s, when there was a rebuild.
The story of the ghost dates from a tragic accident during the Second World War when a soldier billeted at the Distillery was electrocuted. It is reported that the ghost has been seen several times since although details are scant.