Maldon East and Heybridge Railway Station
The impressive Maldon station was opened in 1848 by the Maldon, Witham & Braintree Railway Company and closed on 7 September 1964. The impressive Maldon station was opened in 1848 by the Maldon, Witham & Braintree Railway Company and closed on 7 September 1964. Since its closure, the building has been used for various purposes and has been a restaurant, a bar and office space. The following description of a haunting here was published on 13 October 2014 in the Essex Chronicle within an article by Emily Talbut entitled ‘The 14 most haunted places in Essex to visit this Hallowe’en.
‘Maldon’s Jacobean style Victorian Railway Station closed its doors to passengers many moons ago…except for one. Before it was closed, an apparition of a white lady was sometimes seen groaning eerily and late night passengers passing through would often get a ghostly chill.
In the 1980s, the station temporarily became a restaurant though many complained of sudden temperature drops, some even seeing a white ghostly mist coming from near the restaurant toilets.’