A holding of William de Percy, one of the early supporters of William the Conquer, who was given vast tracts of land in Yorkshire for his brave service.
The family stayed at the castle for 300 years. The house was fortified around 1308, and renovated in 1559, but was ruined during the Civil War. A ghost only visible from the waist up has been witnessed jumping from the top of the 13th Century tower by several witnesses. One sighting was in October 1969.
Directions: Off the A59