St Oswald’s (Old) Church, Fulford
Now a private residence, St Oswald’s (Old) Church, dates from 1150 and its nave, and west tower, were originally from St Mary’s Abbey. William Camidge related the following story. ‘An effort has been made to associate the ghost of Holy Trinity Church, Micklegate [York] (which was a very familiar object to the congregation of that church a few years ago) with the burial ground of [the] old church of Fulford. The legend is, that a family of good position lived in Micklegate [York]. The father who died (leaving a widow and one child) was interred in the burial ground connected with Holy Trinity and his grave was regularly visited by his widow, child and nurse. A little while after his death the city was visited with the plague to which the child became a victim.
In accordance with an order of the Corporation she, like all others dying of this fever, was buried at Fulford. To her resting place her mother and nurse made periodical visits, up to the time of the mother’s death. The legend assumes that ever since the latter event the ghost of the mother has proceeded to Fulford weekly, received the ghost of the child from the graveyard there, and with the ghost of the nurse, they have gone to the grave of the father, making the time of service in the church the season of visitation.’ [Ouse Bridge to Naburn Lock, by Mr. William Camidge. (Reprinted from the Yorkshire Gazette 1890.)]