Swatters’ Carr, Middlesbrough
The Swatter’s Carr is a Weatherspoons public house that opened in 2011. Having previously been known as The Tavern, the House, Hogshead, The Empire or Empire Hotel, it has now reverted to back its name on the 1891 census. The name Swatter’s Carr was possibly taken from a farmhouse dating from the 17th century that stood in the vacinity. According to Mieka Smiles in her Gazette Live article dated 13 June 2014. ‘Swatters Carr seems to be home to a rather noisy ghost. Loud bangs are frequently heard from upstairs, when there is no-one up there, and staff have heard loud growls in their ear when they have to venture upstairs alone.