The Albion, Conwy
The Albion is a pub that can be found on Upper Gate Street in the old and historic town of Conwy. It was built in around 1925, on the site of two older inns, to be a modern building in the style of the day. In 2010 the Albion closed, but it was sold at an auction to an anonymous buyer in London who invited four local rival brewers (Purple Moose Brewery of Porthmadog, Bragdy Conwy Brewery from Morfa Conwy, Bragdy’r Nant of Llanrwst, and the Great Orme Brewery of Glan Conwy) to run the pub together, which is the first time this has happened in the United Kingdom. The Albion reopened on the 31st January 2012 being restored to its original 1920’s look, a combination of Art Nouveau and Art Deco.
The Albion is allegedly haunted, (all accounts are from before the reopening) and the strange phenomena that have been reported there are as follows:
1. All of the beers have allegedly been turned off at the valves in the cellar during opening hours, while the cellar has been locked.
2. Bottles of beer have been seen to fly off the shelves and smash on the floor.
3. Whistling (as if from a person’s lips) has been reported in the bar when the pub was empty.
4. Children have reputedly reported being awoken at night by a strange man in their room.
5. Objects have reputedly been moved from one place to another.
6. Old pennies have said to have been found left on the bar.
7. A previous landlord allegedly heard a party going on in the bar at around 2am one morning. When he ran down the stairs and flung open the bar door, the pub was in darkness and there was nobody there.