The Black Country Arms, Walsall
The Black Country Arms was formerly The Green Dragon and is recorded as far back as 1627 when it was part of the municipal buildings. It became part of the Magistrate’s Court in 1910 but is now returned to its former use as a pub.
There are a number of stories associated with the pub including people feeling someone is standing right behind them on the stairs and sightings of a ghostly hound in the building. However, the most frequently reported ghost haunting the pub is a lady in a blue dress who stands in a second floor window. Because a floor was taken out to create a higher ceiling it is no longer possible for someone to be standing in that particular window.
Claire Dolman of Walsall Museum has done some interesting research into the age of the dress the ghostly lady is seen wearing from a detailed drawing made by the son of one of the landlords. As a result of this a good possibility is that she is Mary Hemming, wife of Deacon Hemming, who lived in the building during the 1700s. Despite losing three young children Mary appears to have been happy here. Perhaps this is why she appears to have never left.