You are hereGravesend

Gravesend


Cloera, Ireland/Gravesend, Kent/Bristol UFO (1211AD)

In 1211AD Gervase of Tilbury recorded a strange event in the borough of Clorea in Ireland. During a Sunday Mass at the church of St Kinarus in the borough of Cloera, an anchor was seen to descend from the sky and hook on to the church door. Read More »

Milton Chantry

Milton Chantry dates from around 1321AD and is thought to be the oldest building in Gravesend. Built on the site of a leper hospital founded in 1189AD, the Chantry, which was once a chantry chapel has been remodelled and has had several uses over the centuries, including a tavern (around 1697), a barracks (18th century) and in World War II a gas decontamination chamber. Read More »

New Tavern Fort

The remains of the 18th century New Tavern Fort are found in the gardens of Major General Charles George Gordon’s* (Born 28 Januaty 1833 0 Died 26 January 1885) Gravesend residence, Fort House. Read More »

St George's Church, Gravesend

The original St George’s Church dates from 1497. Read More »

Thong Lane Big Cat, Gravesend

The following story concerning a big cat seen in Gravesend appeared in a 23 December 2006 article by Helen Wagstaff entitled '2 more big cats sighted in county' which appears on the Kentonline website. Read More »



Share/Save

Navigation

Recent comments

Featured Site