You are hereEngland / Norfolk Gazetteer
The Brown Lady of Raynham Hall is one of the most famous hauntings in Britain, this is mainly down to the strange form captured by photographers from Country Life magazine in 1936. Before that event the Brown Lady had been reported several times, but many of the written accounts vary considerably. Read More »
Castle Hill (Castle Mound or Military Parade) is the remains of Thetford's second castle, a 12th century motte and bailey castle which replaced the towns earlier 11th century Red Castle. Read More »
The now ruined but still imposing Castle Rising with its extensive earthworks was built around 1140AD and is one of the most famous castles of its kind in the country. Back when it was built this area was a busy sea port, though it is now probably four miles from the waters of the North Sea. Read More »
The Devil's Ditch which possibly dates from the Iron Age, though was probably recut in the Middle Saxon period, is a two long ditch with low flanking banks. Read More »
The Haunted Heritage trail leaflet for Thetford refers to a haunting in the old King's Arms public house, stating that 'An old tenant still talks of when he lived in this pub as a child. One day he was sitting with his grandmother when a lady dressed in black appeared in the corner of the room. Read More »
Mannington Hall is a Grade II listed large moated house dating from 1460 with later additions from around 1864. Read More »
28th January 1908, people working at the 'Norwich Transportation Company' on a night shift, were witness to a 'dark globular object' with a structure of some kind upon the side of it. The object was travelling at great speed.
The site of the Priory of St George in Thetford has at least two ghost associated with it, though I am unsure of any witness reports. Read More »
The Nuns' Bridges took their name from the nearby nunnery (the Priory of St. George) and they carry the ancient trackway known as the Icknield Way over the Little Ouse River and the River Thet in Thetford. Once the site of the towns ducking stool during the middle ages, Nun's Bridges has a story attached to it concerning the death of a young child and his ghost. Read More »
On 15 June 1979 a story regarding the sighting of a Himalayan or Malaysian bear seen by several witnesses on the outskirts of a wood near the A1066 at Snare Hill, appeared in the Bury Free Press, Sunderland Echo and national press.
Out of the dark, supernatural depths of Victorian England one name stands out. Jack.
Not Jack the Ripper, but a more supernatural fiend - Spring Heeled Jack! Read More »
Founded by Roger Bigod, 1st Earl of Norfolk (died 1107), the 12th century ruined Priory of St Mary at Thetford has been the site of several reported sightings of what may have been black robed cluniac monks. Read More »
Found at 4 White Hart Street, the former White Hart Inn is now the local Tourist Information Centre. Haunting like phenomena was reported whilst the building was a pub, with unexplained footsteps being heard walking along the passageways at night. Strange experiences continue to be reported in the TIC with flickering lights and opening doors by themselves.
The oldest inhabited building in Thetford, this Grade II listed building has seen some changes over the years. Originally part of a single late-medieval timber-framed house that was eventually split into No's 1, 3 and 5 Castle Street. The oldest part of the building being being No 3 and No 5 which date back to 15th century with No 1 being added as a service wing the 16th century. Read More »