Lligwy Burial Chamber
The remains of the Lligwy Cromlech probably date from around 5000 BC (late Neolithic period). Access to the main central chamber would have been through a small narrow passage. The massive capstone (supported by eight smaller pillar stones), measures eighteen feet by fifteen feet, and is estimated to weigh twenty-five tons. It was excavated in 1908-1909, and the remains of up to thirty individuals were discovered, including the bones of children. Pieces of beaker and ware pottery were also unearthed, which has been used to estimate the age of the tomb. It is part of the Lligwy ancient complex; see Din Lligwy and Capel Lligwy which are located close by.