Seven Sisters Round Barrow
Seven Sisters is a round barrow approximately 3m in height and 25m in diameter. In 1877 it was excavated by Mr T Robinson and Canon William Greenwell (Born 23 March 1820 – Died 27 January 1918). It was also in this year that Greenwell published his ‘British Barrows’ which was a record of his digs covering hundreds of barrows in Northern England. Seven Sisters was used originally for a neolithic cremation, then reused in the Bronze Age for further cremations and burials. There was also evidence of an early medieval inhumation.