Ysbyty Cynfyn Church
Three miles from Devil’s Bridge is the 19th century Ysbyty Cynfyn Church, which stands in the remains of a stone circle. Two of the stones now act as posts for the gate leading into the churchyard. Another two are set into the church wall itself. The tallest of the stones is in the North of the churchyard and stands 3.4m high. It is believed that this stone may be in its original position and is mentioned in a description of the churchyard in 1804.
[img_assist|nid=1993|title=|desc=|link=popup|align=right|width=200|height=150]The word Ysbyty originates from the Latin term for Hospice and it is believed that the Knights of St John of Jerusalem or Hospitallers who possessed this area in medieval times had a hospice here. The hospice would have served pilgrims on the route to St David’s in Pembrokeshire.