Karl Bartsch gave the following Devil bridge story in his ‘Tales and legends and traditions of Mecklenburg’ (Sagen, Märchen und Gebräuche aus Meklenburg) published in 1879.
Category: Devil Bridge
The site of Kilgram Bridge has been used for thousands of years to cross the River Ure. This Norman bridge prossibly dates from 1145AD (certainly standing by 1301 AD) and was built by the monks from the Cistercian Jervaulx Abbey. It was built upon the remains of an early Roman paved ford, the well preserved remains of which were used as the bridge’s foundations.
In ‘The Folk-Lore of Herefordshire’ (1912), Ella Mary Leather gave the following account of a bridge associated with the Devil. This bridge crosses the River Monnow which separates Gwent from Herefordshire.
There stories throughout Britain of the Devil building bridges and Rev Thomas Parkinson in his ‘Yorkshire Legends and Traditions’ (1888) gives the following account for the bridge over the River Dibb at Burnsall.
Pont Aberglaslyn has a bridge with a connection to the Devil. It is very similar to other Devil and bridge related stories found throughout the British Isles. The Devil built the bridge on the understanding that he would receive the soul of the first living creature to cross over it. When the bridge was finished he went to the local inn to inform the magician Robin Ddu that it was ready.
There are three bridges over this part of the Mynach Gorge, each one built successively over the others, as they needed to be improved for traffic. The lowest of the bridges dating from the 11th century is the original one and is associated with a Devil legend that is common in Britain with minor variations from place to place.
Devil’s Bridge over the river Lune, is associated with a legend that can be found throughout Britain, with minor variations from region to region. A woman who was separated from her cow by the river made a pact with the Devil. He would build a bridge across the river, in return for the soul of the first living thing to cross the bridge.