Ewshott House

You may also like...

1 Response

  1. Ian Topham says:

    Re: Ewshott House
    The first recorded mention of the manor of ITCHEL (Ticelle, xi cent.; Ichehulle, Ichull xii cent.; Ichill, Dichull, Ichull, xiv cent.) occurs in the Domesday Survey, where it is stated that Itchel and Cove, which had been held as separate estates by Lewin and Ulward in the time of Edward the Confessor, were then in the possession of German, who was holding them of the Bishop of Winchester as of his manor of Crondall.

    From this time Itchel and Cove descended together as one manor for nearly five centuries. The next holder of the manor whose name has come down to us was Walkelin de Itchel, who was probably a son of German. He was dead before 1166, in which year his son Robert de Itchel was returned as holding two knights’ fees of the Bishop of Winchester. The next recorded mention of Itchel is in 1230, when it was in the possession of William de Coleville. He died in 1236, and was succeeded by his son William, who was stated to be holding two knights’ fees in Itchel and Cove in 1243. A few years later the property was acquired by Walter Giffard, who was elected Bishop of Bath and Wells on 22 May 1264, and two years later was translated to the archiepiscopal see of York. Giffard died in 1279, and was succeeded by his brother Godfrey Giffard, Bishop of Worcester. These prelates seem to have made Itchel a place of occasional residence, as several of the transactions recorded in their registers are dated from Itchel.

    Giffard of Itchel. Argent ten roundels gules.

    On the death of Godfrey in 1302 the manor passed to his nephew and heir John Giffard, who died seised in 1319, leaving a son John. This John Giffard joined the Earl of Hereford and other barons in their league against the Despensers, and his lands were consequently forfeited, being committed by the king to the custody of Robert Lewer. Robert Lewer rebelled against the king in 1322, placed himself at the head of an armed force and entered the manor of Itchel and carried away the king’s goods. He was thereupon taken prisoner and put to death, and in 1324 Edward II granted the custody of the manor to John de Alton the bailiff of Odiham. John Giffard seems, however, to have regained possession of his estates before his death, for he died seised of the manor of Itchel in 1327, his heir being his infant son John. The custody of the manor was entrusted to Thomas de Bradestan, who in 1331 was ordered to repair the palings of the bishop’s park of Farnham out of the issues of the manor of Itchel, the Bishop of Winchester having proved his right to this service from the tenant of the manor. John Giffard granted a lease of the manor to Sir John de Wyngsfeld in 1349, but apparently died soon afterwards, although the exact date of his death is uncertain.

    The estate then passed to his widow Eleanor, who died in 1360. The custody of Elizabeth, the daughter and heir of John and Eleanor, was then granted to William de Edendon, but she died without issue less than a year afterwards.

    The next heir to the estates was John Giffard, the son of William, a younger brother of John Giffard, Elizabeth’s grandfather. In 1379 John obtained permission from the Bishop of Winchester to enlarge the park at Itchel, undertaking for himself and his heirs and assigns to pay to the bishop and his successors at their castle of Farnham yearly, on the feast of St. Peter ad Vincula, a good bow with a suitable string, and six barbed arrows, well winged with peacock feathers, and in like manner between 1 December and 1 February in each year a fallow deer from the park. It is uncertain in what year this John died, but in 1418 Mary, probably his widow, who afterwards married John Southworth, held the manor. In 1428 another John Giffard held Itchel, and died on 10 June 1444, leaving a son and heir Robert. Two years later Robert Giffard died without issue, and land in Cove was held in dower by his widow Joan, who survived him, until 1478. The manor of Itchel, however, passed to his brother John, who was returned as the owner in 1461. This John Giffard was succeeded by a son William Giffard, who held the manor in 1509, in which year he and his son John received from the Prior and convent of St. Swithun a grant of woodland for the enlargement of Itchel Park. William Giffard died in 1549, and was succeeded by his grandson John, the son of his son John, who had predeceased him. John died seised of the manor in 1563, leaving a son George, then aged 10 years. A third part of the manor passed to his widow —who married William Hodges of Weston Subedge—as dower. In 1579, shortly after George Giffard came of age, Henry Wriothesley, second Earl of Southampton, desiring to add Itchel Manor to his neighbouring estate of Dogmersfield, purchased the estate. At this period Cove became separated from Itchel Manor (see Cove, in Yateley parish). Henry Wriothesley died in Itchel Manor-house on 4 October 1581, and was succeeded by his son Henry, third earl, who died in 1624. In 1629 his son Thomas, fourth Earl of Southampton, sold Itchel Manor to Robert Mason, LL.D., of Lincoln’s Inn, who was steward of the borough of Basingstoke, M.P. first for Christchurch and then for Winchester, vicargeneral to the bishop and chancellor of the diocese, and the official of the archdeacons of Winchester and Surrey. He died in 1635 and was succeeded by members of the family until about 1670. It was then purchased by John Bathurst, in the possession of whose descendants it was in 1736. The next owner is stated to have been Martha Dearing of Odiham, widow, who held the manor about the middle of the 18th century; and by 1764 it had come into the possession of Nicholas Linwood, of Spring Gardens, Charing Cross, who was one of the directors of the East India Company (1749–51). He died on 7 May 1773, and in the same year his widow sold the estate to Henry Maxwell of Ramsbury (co. Wilts). Henry Maxwell died in 1818, and bequeathed Itchel Manor to his wife’s nephew, the Rev. John Henry George Lefroy, from whom it descended to his grandson, Mr. Charles James Maxwell Lefroy, who died in November 1908.

    [‘Parishes: Crondall’, A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 4 (1911)]