You are hereKilgram Bridge

Kilgram Bridge


The site of Kilgram Bridge has been used for thousands of years to cross the River Ure. This Norman bridge prossibly dates from 1145AD (certainly standing by 1301 AD) and was built by the monks from the Cistercian Jervaulx Abbey. It was built upon the remains of an early Roman paved ford, the well preserved remains of which were used as the bridge's foundations.  However, there is a darker and somewhat familiar story about the origin of the bridge.

Mrs Eliza Gutch gives the following legend concerning the building of Kilgram, or as she names it, Kilgrim, in her 'Examples of Printed Folk-Lore Concerning the North Riding of Yorkshire' (1901)

Many bridges having been built on this site by the inhabitants, none had been able to withstand the fury of the floods until his "Satanic Majesty" promised to build a bridge which would defy the fury of the elements, on condition that the first living creature who passed over should fall a sacrifice to his "Sable Majesty."

Long did the inhabitants consider, when the bridge was complete, as to who should be the victim. A shepherd, more wise than his neighbors, owned a dog called Grim. This man having first swum the river, whistled for the dog to follow. Poor Grim unwittingly bounded across the bridge and thus fell a victim to his "Sable Majesty."

Tradition says, from this circumstance the spot has ever since been known as Kill Grim Bridge.


Javascript is required to view this map.



Share/Save

Navigation

Recent comments

Featured Site