The ruin of the Z-plan Vayne Castle dates from the 16th century was built by the Lindsays. There is a Devil legend associated with the castle according to ‘The History and Traditions of the Land of the Lindsays’ (1882), which states that:
“The doings of Satan at this place are proverbial, and the umbrageous ravine through which the Noran tumbles its pellucid waters, is the very place which imagination would picture as his abode, and here, in all conceivable phases he reigned of old, and perhaps reigns still; for, according to provincial rhyme, this locality was his favourite place of residence-
“There’s a Brownie o’ Ba’quharn,
An’ the Ghaist o’ Brandieden;
But of a’ the places i’ the parish,
The De’il burns up the Vayne!”
Almost opposite Vayne Castle, on the lands of Markhouse, there is a spot of ground called “the De’il’s Hows,” where the notorious personage from which the place is named has made some wonderful manifestations of his presence, in even later times than our grandfathers; and from this place, which is a small hollow in the middle of a muir, large lumps of earth have been thrown to a great distance without any visible cause.
A further treasure legend is referred to in ‘The history and traditions of the land of the Lindsays in Angus and Mearns’ by Andrew Jervise (1853) ‘ An arched cellar or vault forms the ground-floor of the east wing, and is the only roofed part of the building; underneath there is said to be a deep dungeon into which the family, before taking their final departure, threw all their treasure of money and plate! This chamber has often been sought for, and only one person is believed to have found it; but when about to descend in search of the valuables, he was forcibly thrust from the entrance by an uncouth monster in the shape of a horned ox, that departed in a blaze of fire through a big hole in the wall (still pointed out!) and, before the terrified treasure-seeker could recover himself, the chasm, which he had wrought so hard to discover, was closed for ever to his view.’