You are hereHaunted Pubs
Within this book, The Horror of Gyb Farm, Richard Holland has collated and edited the works of a pioneering and yet relatively unknown paranormal researcher, Frederick George Lee (born 1832-1902). Between 1875 and 1894 F.G. Read More »
The John Snow public house at 39 Broadwick Street was named after Dr John Snow (Born 15 March 1813 – Died 16 June 1858), who traced the source of the Soho cholera outbreak of 31 August 1854 to contaminated water from a pump on Broadwick Street (known as Broad Street prior to 1936). Read More »
132 Peckham Rye was once the address of The King’s Arms public house, which was hit by a bomb during a World War II German air raid I which eleven people lost their lives. The pub was rebuilt and overtime eventually became a nightclub named Kings on the Rye before finally being demolished in the late 1990’s by a block of flats. Read More »
The Kings Head Hotel is no longer open for business and the building has been changed into a residential mews (Kings Mews). However, this hotel which dated from at least 1832 (when Pigot's Directory of Sussex showed James Webber as the landlord) had a reputation of being haunted by a ghost known locally as Geranium Jane. Read More »
This may be called The Little Book of Ghosts but it's anything but that! Paul Adams has packed it full to the brim with interesting and informative accounts of ghosts and hauntings.
Read More »
The Llandoger Trow is a fantastic looking building which dates from 1664 and can be found on King Street, across from the Theatre Royal in Bristol. The pub has a long tradition of serving those connected with the arts and the men who worked the sea. It also has a reputation of being haunted. Read More »
The Lookout Inn stands opposite the partially reconstructed Arbeia Roman Fort which dates from around 120AD and served as a maritime supply base for the garrisons on Hadrian’s Wall. We probably should not be surprised to hear of a Roman ghost haunting The Lookout Inn. Read More »
The Malt Shovel is situated in one of the most haunted areas of Dudley. One of the ghosts here is called the Blue Boy and is only seen in the upstairs windows of the pub usually as an indistinct, misty form.
Another of the apparitions is a small person who walks in accompanied by a black dog. When staff go to look where they have gone they are nowhere to be seen. Read More »
This pub sits in the grounds of the now ruined Manor Castle (or Manor Lodge) in Sheffield and is haunted by the apparition of a figure. When encountered by Jack Wright, the new Landlord he moved his family straight back out after three weeks of being continuously haunted, if not by seeing the figure then by feeling a presence. Read More »
The Mill Inn is a family owned public house steeped in local history having previously been a saw and grain mill. On their website they state 'we have our very own ghost. In November 1923, Robert Forrest the miller, died alone in the top room of the Mill when an accident caused his death.' Forty five year old, Robert Brown Forrest died on 15 November 1923. Read More »
The Miners Arms has played host to a few strange experiences. A figure has been seen a few times in the pub who simply disappears when he is spotted. He has been known to approach the bar as if to order a drink and then simply vanish. Read More »
Dating from the mid 15th century, The New Inn is a Grade I listed building that originally served as hostelry for St Peter’s Abbey. In 1553 Lady Jane Grey (Born 1536 – Died 12 February 1554) was staying here when King Edward VI died. It was here that she was proclaimed Queen, a reign that lasted 9 days. Read More »
Dating from the late 17th century, The New Leathern Bottle is a Grade II listed building with a reputation of being haunted. According to their website a murder took place here. They state that ‘In the mid 1800s the Leathern Bottle, as it was then, was owned and run by the Careys. Hannah Carey was known to be a loose woman and would make herself available to the men of the area. Read More »
Despite the name the New Talbot is nearly a hundred years old and underwent refurbishment in 2012. After the pub manager lost his phone whilst cleaning up after hours he decided to check security camera footage to see where it had gone. Part of the footage shows the phone flying off a chair and landing on the floor. Read More »
The Noahs Ark was once run by an ex professional boxer, Tom Cartwright, who stood no nonsense from anyone.
Tom was rudely awoken one night by a figure he took to be an intruder. Naturally he brought his boxing skills to bear and attempted to floor the man standing by his bed. As his fists passed straight through the young man, he vanished into thin air. Read More »
This old public house has in the past been reputedly haunted with poltergeist type phenomena, with beer barrels that move. Phantom footsteps have also been heard moving around.
The Old Cat is certainly old and was originally converted from a row of cottages which would have been around at the time of the English Civil War. Cavalier figures from the war have been seen in other parts of Wordsley and it is indeed a Royalist soldier in full attire who has startled staff mainly around the cellar area. Read More »
The Old Hop Pole has a little snug which for some reason seems to be the focus of paranormal activity. A little boy and girl in Victorian clothes have been seen here and icy chills can be experienced even when the rest of the pub is warm. Read More »
The Old Mill is named after one of two windmills which existed in Gornal. The remains of one, Ruiton Windmill, can still be seen in nearby Vale Street. In common with many other Black Country pubs The Old Mill has a history of poltergeist type activity. Things get moved around when there is nobody in the pub and unexplained bumps and bangs are often heard. Read More »
The Old Priory is haunted by a lady who walks the pub mainly at night. She has been heard by staff staying at the pub walking up and down the corridor outside their bedroom doors. Who she is or why she haunts the pub is unknown. Read More »
The Old Queen’s Head Public House (44 Essex Road) is a well known live music venue attracting world class bands and DJ’s, but this building that dates back to the early 19th century has a unique history and a reputation of being haunted. Read More »
The Old Stags Head has a haunting associated with nearby St Bart's Church. The story goes that one of the vicars knew the location of a tunnel leading to the pub cellar and would use it to enjoy regular pints of beer. His less than amused wife would follow him into the cellar and turn off the beer taps. Read More »