You are hereHauntings
A phantom sailing ship is said to sail into the cove and over the beach.
Directions: Porthcurno is reached from a minor road off the B3315.
Sir Bertram Clough Williams-Ellis, CBE, MC (28 May 1883 – 9 April 1978), was an English-born Welsh architect, who created this popular tourist attraction in the style of an Italian village between 1925 and 1975. The village is a popular wedding venue and hotel, with each cottage and building being a room or suite. Read More »
Powis Castle dates back to the 13th century when it was a medieval stronghold for the Welsh princes of Powys. It is now the ancestral home for the Earls of Powis and has been continuously lived in for over seven hundred years. It is only to be expected that a castle with such a long history would have acquired a few ghosts over the years.
The Ghosts: Read More »
The ghost of a young girl has been seen in the garden of this 300 year old country manor house hotel. Although very close to Cheltenham Race Course, Prestbury House is also said to be haunted by the sound of horse's hooves.
The Prince Albert Hotel is reputedly haunted by Miss Williams, a rather masculine former landlady. Miss Williams had a secret lover by the name of Anna who was in the Royal Navy. In order to keep their liaisons secret Miss Williams would light a candle in Room 13 as a signal that it was safe for Anna to meet her lover. Read More »
The Priory Methodist Church on Newnham Avenue opened on 5 June 1969 and replaced both a small church that had been on the site since 1953 (before that there was a tin mission hut dating from 1940) and the 18th century St Paul’s Methodist Church on Harpur Street. At some point it is said an apparition was witnessed here. Read More »
In 1674 a publication entitled ‘News from Puddle-Docke in London, or, A Perfect particuler of the strange apparitions and transactions that have happened in the house of Mr. Edward Pitts next door to the still at Puddle-Dock’ was printed. As the title suggests it concerned the reported haunting Edward Pitts home. Read More »
The abbey is said to be haunted by Eleanor of Aquataine - Henry II's queen, who was exiled here before her death in France in 1204.
Monks also celebrated a feast of fools here on New Years Day; the festival was thought to be christianised version of the Roman festivals Saturnalia, and Bachanalia.
The apparition of a jilted bride named Julia is thought to haunt Queen’s Square dressed in a white gown, possibly he wedding dress.
Located at number 1 St. James Street, Monmouth, is the Queens Head Inn. It is a Grade II listed building which dates back the 16th Century. It has previously been known as the ‘Queens Head Hotel’ and the ‘Queens Head’. Read More »
The Queen’s Hotel is situated next to the railway station, on the High Street of the historical slate mining town of Blaenau Ffestiniog. It was built in around 1850 and has been a focal point for locals and tourists to the area for many years. In the 1990’s the hotel was closed for four years, modernised whilst retaining its Victorian character, and reopened. Read More »
Raby Castle, which currently sits in a 200 acre deerpark, was built in the mid 14th century by John Neville, 3rd Baron Neville de Raby, (Born circa.1337 – Died 17 October 1388) a Knight of the Garter who had served as Admiral of the North and Steward to the Kings Household. Read More »
Radcliffe Tower is all that remains of a fifteenth century (1403) manor house and is a Grade I listed building. At twenty feet high, this ruined remnant of the manors demolition in the nineteenth century is linked to a tragic tale of a stepmother arranging the murder of her husband’s daughter and is reputed to be haunted by a phantom Black Dog. Read More »
RAF Grimsby (Waltham) was opened in 1941 as a satellite for the larger airfield nearby at Binbrook. During it's time as an operational bomber base three squadrons served there; 100 Squadron, 142 Squadron and 550 Squadron. Read More »
RAF Scampton reopened in 1936 (originally having opened as Home Defence Flight Station Brattleby in 1916, renamed Scampton in 1917 and closed in 1919) and at the outbreak of World War II it was transferred to Bomber Commands No. 5 Group, being the base for 83 Squadron, 49 Squadron, 57 Squadron and 617 Squadron (the Dambusters). Read More »
Kings Mill was built upon the site of RAF West Malling, which was formed in 1940 when Maidstone Airport was requisitioned by the military. West Malling was assigned to Fighter Command, C Sector. Following WWII it continued as an RAF base and then was used by the US Navy Air Force. It closed as a military air base in 1969 and as an airfield in the1980’s. Read More »
There has been an inn at this location since the 13th century. The Inn has been the scene of various paranormal events, including various apparitions, strange amorphous shapes caught on photographs, poltergeist activity, disembodied voices, footsteps and severe temperature anomalies. Read More »
The following extract is taken from an article by Andrew Watt entitled ‘15 ghost sightings in Bedford’, which was published in Bedfordshire on Sunday (10 March 2015). ‘On the 30th September 1999, a woman awoke to find her dead grandmother sitting by her bed. Read More »
Ramhurst Manor House is a Grade II listed private residence on Powder Mill Lane dating from the 16th century or earlier. In the middle of the 19th century some strange experiences in the house resulted in it gaining a reputation for being haunted by members of the Children family who had resided there during the 18th century. Read More »
The ghost of James Mounsey, builder of the house and former physician to the Russian Royal family, haunts Rammerscales Mansion . Mounsey gained fame and wealth as doctor to Czar Peter, but when Czar Peter III was murdered Mounsey fled Russia and returned to Scotland. He became convinced that secret agents were trying to kill him and faked his own funeral. Read More »
Supposedly haunted by a milkmaid who keeps repeating "Weight and measure sold I ever, milk and water sold I never" as she walks up and down. Perhaps she has a guilty conscience about something.
Reculver is a popular summer holiday resort on the north coat of Kent. It has two key sites of archaeological interest, the remains of a Roman fort and a ruined medieval church. Read More »
The Brandywine Creek State Park in northern Delaware near Wilmington is home to appearances of a large dog or fox which is often seen to rise up into the apparition of Gil Thoreau, an outdoorsman. Not much information is known on this creature.