You are hereHauntings
Dating from around 1730, The Roebuck public house can be found at 130 Richmond Hill, Richmond and is well known for the amazing views it provides of the River Thames below. In 1972 it was reputedly the scene of a haunting type experience. Guy Lyon Playfair gave the following account of the case in ‘The Haunted Pub Guide’. Read More »
The Rose and Crown in Hemel Hempstead was originally a butchers shop. In 1537 the owner is recorded as brewing mead for his workers. The ale business grew until it took over and the oldest ale house in the Old High Street, Hemel Hempstead began. Read More »
The 18th century Royal Oak public house and restaurant in East Lavant had a reputation of being haunted in the 1950’s. It has been suggested that the apparition of a bearded man has been seen in the back rooms and heard climbing the stairs during the evening. Read More »
The Royal Oak no longer occupies 38 High Street in St Neots, but in 1963, Mr Hart the Landlord reported a strange and nasty smell that was considered to be paranormal in nature. Earlier in the in 20th century an exorcism was carried out in the building but the reason for it is unknown, though it can be assumed that the haunting went back many years.
Originally known as The Ship and dating from 1213, The Royal Standard of England on Brindle Lane, Beaconsfield is thought to be the oldest Free House in England and is reputedly haunted by two ghosts. Read More »
The Royal Victoria & Bull Hotel on High Street in Dartford is Grade II Listed and dates from 1703. Originally it was a large coaching inn on the London to Canterbury and Dover road. Read More »
The Rufus stone (now encased in metal) erected by Earl De La Warr in 1745, marks the location where King William II of England (referred to as William Rufus due to his red faced complexion) died in a hunting accident on 2 August 1100. Some mystery still envelopes the events of his death. Read More »
Referred to locally as ‘The Sally’, The Salamander can be found at 3 John Street, Bath, a Grade II listed building dating back to 1736. Haunt like experiences have been reported here during this century at least, including unexplained footsteps and unaccounted for singing and talking being heard. Read More »
Two ghosts are thought to haunt this old 16th century coaching inn said to have been built from timbers taken from old ships. One of the ghosts is reputedly a serving wench dating from the 17th century and the second ghost, according to their website is a mystery.
The skull at Burton Agnes Hall is another famous screaming skull, although its exact whereabouts in the hall is unknown. It is thought to reside behind one of the walls, having been bricked up and forgotten about years before. Read More »
The Ship Inn is a 14th century coaching house in picturesque Oundle. It supposed to be haunted by the ghost of a former landlord who committed suicide by jumping out of an upper story bedroom window, breaking his neck. His ghost has been encountered by several subsequent licensees and visitors to the Ship Inn alike.
The village of Llanfihangel Crucorney, just off the A465 to the north of Abergavenny, might possess the oldest and most ‘haunted’ inn in the principality of Wales. At one point, the inn doubled as a courtroom and the earliest record for the Skirrid Mountain Inn is said to date back to 1110AD when a man named John Crowther was awarded the death sentence for stealing sheep. Read More »
"Near this hamlet (Acol) is a long-disused chalk pit...known by the name of 'The Smuggler's Leap.' The tradition of the parish runs that a riding officer from Sandwich, called Anthony Gill, lost his life here...while in pursuit of a smuggler. A fog coming on, both parties went over the precipice...The spot has, of course, been haunted ever since". [Lewis's History of Thanet, by the Rev. Read More »
Dating from 1585 the Spaniards Inn on Spaniards Road is a listed building and was built to accompany a tollhouse on the boundary of the Bishop of London’s estate. It is said the father of famous highwayman Richard (Dick) Turpin (1705 – 7 April 1739) was landlord of The Spaniards Inn and that Dick spent much time here, probably watching the road for potential coaches to rob. Read More »
A good deal of activity has been reported at the Starting Gate including many newspaper reports of the alleged paranormal happenings here. The ghost haunting the pub is reputed to be that of a previous landlady, Ethel Freeman, who is said to have committed suicide in the cellar sometime around the 1950s. Read More »
The Strines Inn is a Grade II listed building which historically has its roots in the 13th century. The Worrall family built a manor house here in 1275 though this was rebuilt and enlarged around 1560. The Inn is situated on the Mortimer Road, which was a Turnpike Road between Grindleford and Penistone built by Hans Winthrop Mortimer (Born 1734 - Died 1807), Member of Parliament for Shaftesbury. Read More »
The 18th century Sun Inn is said to be haunted by the apparition of Lizzie Dean, a scullery maid that ended her own life in the attic of the pub on the day her lover married her best friend. Read More »
When Thomas Pennant was touring Wales, he noted that the three farms on the Nant were Tŷ Hen, Tŷ Canol and Tŷ Ychaf respectively. Read More »
Rheilffordd Talyllyn (the Talyllyn Railway) is a narrow-gauge railway running for just over 7 miles from Tywyn to Nant Gwernol. It opened in 1866, being laid down to carry slate from the quarries at Bryn Eglwys down to the coast at Tywyn, and it was the first narrow gauge railway in the United Kingdom to be authorised to take passengers under steam haulage by an ‘Act of Parliament’. Read More »
The Grade I listed Theatre Royal at Haymarket dates from 1720 and is reputed to be haunted by the playwright and comic actor John Baldwin Buckstone (born 14 September 1802 – died 31 October 1879). In 2009 whilst starring with Sir Ian McKellen (Gandalf, Lord Of The Rings) in the play Waiting for Godot, Sir Patrick Stewart reported seeing Buckstones apparition. Read More »
The Theatre Royal is actually situated on Catherine Street with its back on Drury Lane. It is often referred to as the Drury Lane Theatre and this is actually the fourth theatre to be built upon this site. The first was built under the Royal Charter of King Charles II and opened on 7th May 1663. Read More »
The Theatre Royal is reputed to be haunted by a ghostly nun who has been witnessed several times. The Theatre was built on the site of Old St Leonard's Hospital founded in the 12th century. The theatre also has a tradition about a Grey Lady, and the ghost of an actor who died in a duel.
The Thomas a Beckett Public House at 320 Old Kent Road is no longer open for business (now the Nolias Art Gallery) but the building still remains and it ihas a rare and rich heritage, even without the ghosts. Old Kent Road partially follows the route of what was Watling Street (the Roman road). The pub got its name due to it being so close to what was St Thomas-a-W Read More »
One night in the 13th century a Templar Knight named Sir Richard or Reginald Braybrooke was murdered whilst travelling (probably) to Temple Manor after visiting Lord Cobham. He was shot through the heart by and arrow and his body was not discovered until the following day at a location where three roads met. The murderer was never caught or brought to justice. Read More »