You are hereHauntings
Situated at the junction of the Rhine and Nahe rivers, Bingen is a city that is connected to a very old poltergeist story. The report appears in the Annales Fuldenses which were written in the Abbey of Fulda, Franconia during the ninth century, covering the rule of the Carolingian line from Louis the Pious (778–840) to Louis III, ending in 1901. Read More »
This impressive site is the remains of a Roman fort on Hadrian's Wall. The area was occupied from much earlier times and recently a Neolithic burial has been found. There is also evidence of a large Dark Age Hall on the site. Traditionally the site has been identified with Camlan, the site of King Arthur's last battle. Read More »
The origins of Bisham Abbey began with the Knight Templars, who built a preceptory here in the 12th century. The preceptory became an Augustine Priory and then a Benedictine Abbey in 1537. This did not last for long as the same year saw the dissolution of many Abbeys under Henry VIII, and the destruction of Bisham Abbey was soon to follow. Read More »
Built in 1970, the Town Hall now stands on the site of the old Bishop's Palace in Darlington and there is a story associated with this older building concerning the English Civil War, the murder of a local Lady and her subsequent ghost. Read More »
Three Cistercian monks were murdered by the inhabitants of Accrington in the late 13th century and according to tradition a local haunting dates back to this time. 'A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 6' (1911) gives the following information about the historical events.
Read More »
Wirt Sykes in his British Goblins (1881) tells us of what may have been the ghost of an animal or as those in the North of England may refer to as a hairy ghost. However, this one, according to Sykes may have been something more sinister. Read More »
The tiny village of Warfieldsburg in Carroll County is haunted by a black dog. Recounted by Maryland folklorists Annie W. Whitney and Caroline C. Bullock is the story of two men who were riding along near the Ore Mine Bridge at dusk around 1887. They saw a large black dog which passed through a fence, crossed the road, and passed through another fence. Read More »
Legends of black dogs and phantom hounds are widespread throughout the Chesapeake Bay region, which was one of the earliest areas settled by the English. Read More »
It is probably no coincidence that many of the oldest counties in Pennsylvania share the names of counties and regions of England (Berks, Bucks, Chester, Lancaster, Westmoreland, York) and that like Maryland and Delaware, dealt with in a previous article, Pennsylvania also has a number of tales of phantasmal dog-creatures. Read More »
The disused Cwmorthin Slate Quarry can be found on the shore of Llyn Cwmorthin above Blaenau Ffestiniog. The following description of a strange experience was e-mailed into Mysterious Britain early in 2013 and I would be very interested to hear from anybody who could add more. “Start from Blaenau Ffestiniog. Read More »
This area was haunted by a bright glowing ghost female ghost. This type of ghost has acquired a name due what it wears and is known as a Silky. She would appear in silken attire and according to An Encyclopaedia of Occultism by Lewis Spence, would be "rattling in her silks". The spirit would terrify travelers foolish enough to venture into the night. Read More »
Once the property of the Bishop of Malta and known as l'Isola del Vescovo, Manoel Island took its present name name from António Manoel de Vilhena (Born 28 May 1663 – Died 10 December 1736), the 66th Grand Master of the Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of Saint John of Jerusalem of Rhodes and of Malta, who commissioned a fort to be built here in 1726 and according to some, may Read More »
An article about Dartford Heath on the Perception 9 website refers to the ghost of a knight that is thought to be the "Black Prince" which has been seen towards Bexley, near to the old Rochester Way.
On the evening of 23 September 1916, the L-33 a German Zeppelin under the command of Kapitan Alois Bocker bombed Upminster and Bromley during a World War I air raid. Anti aircraft fire from Victoria Park, Wanstead or Beckton damaged the L-33 whilst it was at 13,000 feet. Needing to shed weight it dropped more bombs, one of which destroyed the Black Swan on Bow Road. Read More »
A phantom hitchhiker reputedly haunts the Blackwall Tunnel which runs under the River Thames between Greenwich and Tower Hamlets in London. The usual account of a motorcyclist picking up the hitchhiker in 1972 seems to have changed slightly over time. In some versions the hitchhiker is male, others female. Read More »
According to a local story (from the Saddleworth area) a patrol of Roman soldiers disappeared while crossing the desolate moors in the area around Bleaklow. They either became lost and died of exposure, or as my informant would have it, were ambushed by the local tribes and buried deep in some moorland bog, waiting to be found armour and all. Read More »
This mountain is one of the locations associated with an army of sleeping knights, this time King Arthur and his men, waiting for the call to arms when he is most needed. In old Cumbrian, Blencathra means 'Devils Peak'
Directions: A footpath leads to the hill from Blencathra Centre. Read More »
The house is said to be haunted by the ghost of a Roundhead, a soldier fighting on the side of Cromwell during the English Civil war. He appears sitting near to the fire in one of the bedrooms. Read More »
In 2012 the village of Blenkinsop was put on the market for £1.75 million. Read More »
There are many reports here of a phantom hitchhiker on the A229 south of Chatham. The reports began in 1968, and usually involved a young girl (possibly a bride to be or a bridesmaid who was killed at the foot of the hill in 1965), flagging down cars and asking for a lift.
It could be just another variant of an urban legend or a wholly separate story, but the city Frederick (Frederick County) has its own Blue Dog of Rose Hill. The grounds of Rose Hill Manor off Route 355 in the northern part of the city are also haunted by a phantom blue dog. This blue dog was the pet of a previous owner of the manor. Read More »
Perhaps the oldest ghost story of Maryland is that of the Blue Dog of Rose Hill. Near the town of Port Tobacco (Charles County) is a rock covered in reddish discolorations. Called the "Peddler's Rock", it supposedly marks the spot where a trader was killed at some point in the latter part of the 1700s. In true ghost story fashion, there are many variants of the tale. Read More »