You are hereApparitions
In 'Ancient Tales and Folk-lore of Japan' (1918), Richard Gordon Smith gives the following account of the ghosts that are said to haunt Shozenji temple. The temple once stood near Fushimi, which is one of the eleven wards in the city of Kyoto. Read More »
The fortification of Chatham started in 1756 and was further improved between 1805 and 1812 in the face of French aggression and the Napoleonic War. Demolished in the 1960's, St. Mary’s Barracks dated from between 1779 and 1782 and was built to house the prisoners who were used to build fort. This of course included French prisoners. Read More »
Inside the Parish Church of St Nicholas in Alcester (parts of which date back to the 14th century) can be found the tomb of Sir Fulke Greville (Died 10 November 1559) and his wife Elizabeth Willoughby, 3rd Baroness Willoughby de Broke, de jure 11th Baroness Latimer (Born 1512 - Buried 15 November 1562) and it was beside this tomb, according to the Paranormal Database, that the apparition of the af Read More »
In the graveyard by the Parish Church of St Patrick, Drumbeg, is the grave of James Haddock who died in 1657. Five years later his ghost is said to made contact in a bid to ensure financial future of his son. Read More »
In 'Collections for a history of Staffordshire' (1880) we are introduced to the following account of the events surrounding the case know as The Devil of Drakelowe and the abandonment of the hamlet. The story may have its origins in the Anglo Saxon meaning of Drakelow, 'Dragons Mound' which may indicate a burial site with a guardian spirit. Read More »
Since the 1950s, the 14th century Grade II listed, Old Rectory on Hook Green Road has been divided into two residences, Friary Court and the Old Friary. The rectory, which had a reputation for being haunted in the 19th century, was probably built by Thomas de Alkham (Died 1356), rector of Southfleet from 1323 and the chancellor of Rochester Diocese from 1327. Read More »
Walworth Castle, near Darlington, County Durham, is a Best Western Hotel, with an extensive and complicated history. The current building is Grade 1 listed, and its medieval style was commissioned by its one time owner Thomas Jenison (died 1586), and completed circa 1600. Read More »
Founded by Roger Bigod, 1st Earl of Norfolk (died 1107), the 12th century ruined Priory of St Mary at Thetford has been the site of several reported sightings of what may have been black robed cluniac monks. Read More »
Dating from 1586, the Verdala Palace was built from a hunting lodge by the (52nd) Grandmaster of the Order of Malta (Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of Saint John of Jerusalem of Rhodes and of Malta or Knights of Malta) Hughues Loubenx de Verdalle (Born 1531 – Died 1595) and has been the official summer residence of the President of Malta since 1987 as it had been for the British Govern Read More »
The famous 18th century actress Sarah Siddons (born 5 July 1755) bought 27 Upper Baker Street in 1817 and it was here that she died on 8 June 1831. Because of its connections with Sarah, in 1876 the house became the first building to receive a nationally recognised memorial plaque for a woman. Read More »
During the Victorian era 50 Berkeley Square was popularly believed to be the most haunted building in London. Now occupied by the famous antiquarian book dealers, Maggs Bros, there is no evidence that haunting like experiences persist but the case of the haunting of 50 Berkeley Square, which has probably developed into a kind of urban legend has become infamous. Read More »
The café Solneve can now be found at 523 Wandsworth Road, Vauxhall, an address that in the 1960’s was associated with a four month canine haunting. The dog in question would be seen coming and running through the building and sometimes out through a locked door. Read More »
Reputedly a farmer who lost his life after hitting a branch during whilst racing between Atherstone on Stour and Alderminster haunts the A3400. Local tradition suggests that if he is seen once, he will appear on another two occasions.
According to 'The Folklore Of Warwickshire' (1976) by Roy Palmer, 'Drivers on the Coventry-Rugby road have been terrified at the approach of a lorry on the wrong side of the road. At the last spit-second, when a head-on collision seems inevitable, the lorry proves to be a phantom, and vanishes.'
I am unsure where exactly on the A428 the phantom lorry has been seen.
The following article by Phil Clay entitled ‘The Buckstones Ghost’ appeared in the Saddleworth White Rose Society (in the county of York) Newsletter (2000) and details his experience with an apparition whilst serving as a Police Officer in Saddleworth whilst it was part of West Yorkshire. Read More »
Hauntings on the A75 Kinmount Straight in South West Scotland have led to it being called 'the Ghost Road.' Here is a brief list of some of the more famous sightings along this route.
A lorry driver ran into a couple crossing the road arm-in-arm in front of his lorry, but when he stopped the accident victims had vanished: sometime in 1957. Read More »
According to a local tradition, the stretch of road (A857) from Galson to the Port of Ness at the tip of Lewis, is said to be haunted. The tale runs that a carrier from Ness was returning from Stornoway many years ago, and had to pass a large stone slab near the village of Galson, which marked the grave of a pedlar who had been murdered at the spot. Read More »