You are hereApparitions
Founded by Roger Bigod, 1st Earl of Norfolk (died 1107), the 12th century ruined Priory of St Mary at Thetford has been the site of several reported sightings of what may have been black robed cluniac monks. Read More »
Dating from 1586, the Verdala Palace was built from a hunting lodge by the (52nd) Grandmaster of the Order of Malta (Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of Saint John of Jerusalem of Rhodes and of Malta or Knights of Malta) Hughues Loubenx de Verdalle (Born 1531 – Died 1595) and has been the official summer residence of the President of Malta since 1987 as it had been for the British Govern Read More »
In 1296, Cistercian monks moved from Stanlow Abbey and founded Whalley Abbey, with the first stone being laid by Henry de Lacy, 3rd Earl of Lincoln, Baron of Pontefract, 10th Baron of Halton, Lord of Denbigh and 7th Lord of Bowland (Born 1251 – Died February 1311). Following the dissolution of the monasteries, Whalley Abbey was closed in 1537 and now stands in ruins. Read More »
The famous 18th century actress Sarah Siddons (born 5 July 1755) bought 27 Upper Baker Street in 1817 and it was here that she died on 8 June 1831. Because of its connections with Sarah, in 1876 the house became the first building to receive a nationally recognised memorial plaque for a woman. Read More »
During the Victorian era 50 Berkeley Square was popularly believed to be the most haunted building in London. Now occupied by the famous antiquarian book dealers, Maggs Bros, there is no evidence that haunting like experiences persist but the case of the haunting of 50 Berkeley Square, which has probably developed into a kind of urban legend has become infamous. Read More »
The café Solneve can now be found at 523 Wandsworth Road, Vauxhall, an address that in the 1960’s was associated with a four month canine haunting. The dog in question would be seen coming and running through the building and sometimes out through a locked door. Read More »
The plaque outside 71 Great Pulteney Street reads ‘Admiral Earl Howe K.G. lived here in 1794, 1795 & 1798. B. 1725 d. 1799’ and according to some sources his apparition was seen during the 1970’s in his uniform. Read More »
Reputedly a farmer who lost his life after hitting a branch during whilst racing between Atherstone on Stour and Alderminster haunts the A3400. Local tradition suggests that if he is seen once, he will appear on another two occasions.
According to 'The Folklore Of Warwickshire' (1976) by Roy Palmer, 'Drivers on the Coventry-Rugby road have been terrified at the approach of a lorry on the wrong side of the road. At the last spit-second, when a head-on collision seems inevitable, the lorry proves to be a phantom, and vanishes.'
I am unsure where exactly on the A428 the phantom lorry has been seen.
The following article by Phil Clay entitled ‘The Buckstones Ghost’ appeared in the Saddleworth White Rose Society (in the county of York) Newsletter (2000) and details his experience with an apparition whilst serving as a Police Officer in Saddleworth whilst it was part of West Yorkshire. Read More »
Hauntings on the A75 Kinmount Straight in South West Scotland have led to it being called 'the Ghost Road.' Here is a brief list of some of the more famous sightings along this route.
A lorry driver ran into a couple crossing the road arm-in-arm in front of his lorry, but when he stopped the accident victims had vanished: sometime in 1957. Read More »
According to a local tradition, the stretch of road (A857) from Galson to the Port of Ness at the tip of Lewis, is said to be haunted. The tale runs that a carrier from Ness was returning from Stornoway many years ago, and had to pass a large stone slab near the village of Galson, which marked the grave of a pedlar who had been murdered at the spot. Read More »
Deer Abbey dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary was a Cistercian House founded in 1219 by the Earl of Buchan, William Comyn which replaced an earlier Celtic monastery in the vicinity was dedicated to Read More »
Abbotsford House was the home of the famous Scottish poet and novelist, Sir Walter Scott (born 1771 – died 1832) and it could be the place that he haunts. The house was created by Scott who bought a 100 ace farm (Cartleyhole) in 1811 and started to build onto it. He finished Abbotsford in 1824. Read More »
Conwy’s oldest house, Aberconwy (parts of it date back to the 14th Century) on Castle Street, was a medieval merchant’s house, and is currently owned by the National Trust. Read More »
The Grade II listed Old Gaol in Abingdon dates from 1811 and was the first British jail with wings. It closed as a jail in 1868. Between 1974 and 2002 the building as used a leisure centre and it was during this time that it gained a reputation of being haunted. Read More »
In the 15th century the castle was owned by the Keith family, who were in the midst of a feud with the Gunn family. After several murders and revenge murders, Helen Gunn of Braemore, was abducted by Dugald Keith who lived in the tower. Read More »
The ghost that haunts this 18th century establishment appeared every day and sometimes more than once each day according Mrs Mary Walker, the landlady during the early 1970s. It was described as "like seeing a sheet flick from one door to the other". In 1973 Marc Alexander nominated The Acton Arms as England's most frequently haunted inn. Read More »
Following an eight year search, on 22nd August 2004, Christian Francis of Lebanon Divers found the wreck of HMS Victoria near Tripoli. Standing vertically with her bow and the first 30m of her length buried in the seabed, she was the victim of naval blunder and her sinking in 1893 is directly linked to reports of an apparition being witnessed. Read More »